Healthy Holiday Eating
Besides being a Real Estate professional, I spent years studying health and wellness through the Institute of Integrative Nutrition culminating with a Certified Health Coach designation. Healthy Holiday eating is at the top of everyone's list this time of year.
To make holiday eating easier, remember these tips:
- Start everyday with a high protein breakfast combined with a healthy fat. Yes, real butter is a healthy fat; margarine is not. Other healthy fats include coconut oil, olive oil, ghee.
- Think of every meal as a plate of 3/4 greens/vegetables 1/4 protein, and a dash of healthy fats.
- When facing the holiday buffet or appetizer tray, try "chunking". Chunky is alternating a healthy choice bite (ex. raw vegetable w/o dip) with that irresistible holiday goodie. The healthy choice will satiate the brain and prevent binging on that unhealthy choice.
- When having a "carb" urge, feed the brain a healthy fat. When the brain is in need of healthy fats, we confuse it for a "carb" gotta have. In other words, you will be satisfied quicker with a small bread sampling with olive oil, than with a large slice of plain bread.
- Enjoy the "wine spritzer" for your cocktail hour. Fill your wine glass half with wine and half with sparkling water.
- Don't beat yourself up if you have a bad eating day. Have a plan for "when" it happens not "if" it happens. A good plan is starting the next morning with a cup of hot water and lemon to detox, lots of exercise, meditation, and self forgiveness.
- Enjoy the holidays with great conversation and feeling great about yourself. They only come once a year.